What Diagnostic Tests & Procedures Are Used for Prostate Exams?
Written by: Casey Hribar | Last reviewed: October 2017
- Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) Test. National Cancer Institute. https://www.cancer.gov/types/prostate/psa-fact-sheet. Published May 5, 2017. Accessed October 9, 2017.
- PSA Test. Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/psa-test/home/ovc-20200307. Published August 11, 2017. Accessed October 9, 2017.
- Finding Prostate Cancer Early. American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostate-cancer/early-detection/finding-prostate-cancer-early.html. Published April 14, 2016. Accessed October 9, 2017.
- Thompson IM, Pauler DK, et al. Prevalence of prostate cancer among men with a prostate-specific antigen level < or =4.0 ng per milliliter. New England Journal of Medicine. 27 May 2004; 350(22), 2239-46.
- Tests for Prostate Cancer. American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostate-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/how-diagnosed.html. Published May 15, 2017. Accessed October 9, 2017.
- Transrectal Ultrasound Scan (TRUS). Cancer Research UK. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/prostate-cancer/getting-diagnosed/tests-diagnose/transrectal-ultrasound-scan-trus. Published July 6, 2016. Accessed October 9, 2017.
- Patient’s Guide to Prostate Cancer: Formal Diagnosis, Grading and Staging. USCF Medical Center. https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/patients_guide_to_prostate_cancer/formal_diagnosis_grading_and_staging/. Accessed October 9, 2017.
- Taneja SS. Imaging in the diagnosis and management of prostate cancer. Reviews in Urology. Summer 2004; 6(3), 101-113. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1472828/. Accessed October 9, 2017.
- Kitajima K, Murphy RC, Nathan MA. Choline PET/CT for imaging prostate cancer: An update. Annals of Nuclear Medicine. Aug 2013; 27(7), 581-591.