Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer

Prostate Biopsy

Had biopsy March 25th, had 2 cm tumor plus additional area of concern. Was told I had a follow up tomorrow but was cancelled today due to no pathology report. Frustrated. Not happy with Drs. Office attitude.

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The ProstateCancer.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.

Comments

• sevensix
    2 months ago

Let me anchor this comment: Dad had cancers including the BIG P thus the waiting game to assess my health, and yes, a dx for prostate cancer. Two years later recurrent cancer. My uro was with me for every procedure and decision when rising PSA warranted a biopsy. Yup, aggressive cancer pathology in all 12 core samples. My surgeon asked how I want to proceed choosing robotic surgery knowing I did my homework. It was an easy decision between me, wife, and doc. I was not surprised at the dx (thank you dad) but delightedly amused at how easy and painless radical prostatectomy was for me during recovery.
    Then came Androgen therapy followed by 39 days IMRT radiation. My care team performed flawlessly at every session allowing a few minutes of solitude under the big gun circling overhead giving thought to my circumstances and thankfulness for this life changing experience. The drug Lupron is a nasty customer persisting months
    after treatment causing grief of untold dimensions
    attempting to have the final say in my life and I won’t let that evil flourish anywhere, any time. My support group adopted me as a special person eager to fight for my life for as long as it takes. I’m blessed. No complaints coming from me.

• Potsy112
    2 months ago

It’s really to bad when doctor’s have gone from caring humans to loosing sight that their patients are terrified and need information. What may be routine for doctor and there staff is not routine for the scared patient.
    I agree you are your best advocate and that you need to press and insist on answers even if doctor or staff get irritated.
    I’ve been known to ask them how they would feel if they were in my shoes and sometimes that shocks them into acting different.
    Stay strong. I’m a 2 time survivor. Had prostate removed when I was 49 and it came back when I was 59. Had 39 radiation treatments and now cancer free for 2 years for 2nd time.

• Chuckcole
    2 months ago

Hello Potsy112, I know exactly what you’re going through. The problem with oncology or any other medical doctor is they see so many patients a day. I swear cancer is running rampid. When I go into infusion clinic in the morning, every chair is being used. Before I go into my oncologist waiting room I have a list of concerns. It’s the best way to get his attention. And everytime I go I bring my wife with me so she has a lot of concerns to. These doctors see so many patients in one day. Before you and your wife go to see your oncologist have a list of your concerns. Read each question off to him and when answers your question, write it down that way there you know. We as patients have to learn to take a stand in order to get are questions answered. Never give up, never give in. Chuck moderator prostatecancer.net

• brahman
    3 months ago

Some doctors do not have much class. The urologist I went to after I had a high PSA said I needed a Biopsy. After the test I received a call from his assistant to inform me that I had Prostate Cancer 4+5. I asked the assistant why he was calling and not the doctor. He said the doctor never called his patients with this kind of news??? My wife and I went to one more appointment with this guy to get the full results. I told him what I thought of his bedside manor. He just said that was his policy. After I finished my treatment(that went well, but I did not use the recommendation of the urologist) I was put on an ambassador list from my treatment center to talk with future possible patients. I received a call from a guy in Tampa, FL(I live 30 miles north) and we talked about options. He ended up having the same urologist and the assistant called him as well. He was upset about it as well. I never called this doctor back after he gave me the biopsy results and only gave 1 option for treatment.

• SteveMilizia
    3 months ago

Be your own best advocate!
    Push when you need to.

Stay positive for yourself!

Sending good thoughts your way!

• Chuckcole
    2 months ago

Hello Steve Milizia, that is the best way to communicate with your doctor. You need to be your own advocate. If you have a wife bring her along with you. Sometimes it’s good to have a different perspective by having your wife come with you. Let her have some questions to. Husband and wife can be the best supportive team. The husband knows what he’s going through the wife knows him better than anybody else. The best thing you can have is attitude and have a strong outlook on life. Just remember your family needs you and they love you. Stay strong Steve

• ninaw moderator
    3 months ago

Thank you for the encouraging words, @SteveMilizia! You reminded me of Dr. Nick’s video – it’s about sexual side effects specifically, but he talks about pushing for what you want and doing your own research. Sharing the link here in case you want to check it out: https://prostatecancer.net/video/advocate-sexual-health/. Wishing you well too! – Nina, ProstateCancer.net Team

• Richard Faust moderator
    3 months ago

Hi sdemick. Just to follow up on Chuck’s comment on knowing when to look for a new doctor. My wife, Kelly, writes for one of our sister-sites (she was diagnosed with idiopathic juvenile arthritis at two years old). She wrote an article looking at signs that you may want to dump a doctor. Major problems include not being able to handle paperwork, unresponsiveness, ability to listen, and attitude. You can find the entire article here: https://rheumatoidarthritis.net/living/dumping-doctor/. While it was written for a different condition, I think the points hold up. The important thing to remember is that you are in charge of your care. You may want to find out what specifically happened with the report and also see if you can find assessments/comments from other patients. Hoping you get some answers soon and feel free to keep us posted on how you are doing. Best, Richard (ProstateCancer.net Team)

• Chuckcole
    3 months ago

sdemick, I’ve had my share of some pretty bad doctors. I had one that told me that I wasn’t even going to make 4 months.best thing to do is get out of there go find yourself a doctor that’s going to listen to you. You’re already scared enough and frustrated you don’t have to put up with that. Try to keep a good attitude because that right there will help you. My point is you never give up you never give in. Stay strong my man. Chuck, moderator, ProstateCancer.net

• Poll