What is Active Surveillance?
Written by: Casey Hribar | Last reviewed: January 2019
- NCCN Guidelines for Patients: Prostate Cancer. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. https://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/prostate/files/assets/basic-html. Version 1, 2016. Accessed September 1, 2017.
- Watchful Waiting or Active Surveillance for Prostate Cancer. American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostate-cancer/treating/watchful-waiting.html. Published March 11, 2016. Accessed September 1, 2017.
- Chunhuan L, et al. The cost-effectiveness of active surveillance compared to watchful waiting and radical prostatectomy for low risk localized prostate cancer. BMC Cancer. 2017; 17.
- Loeb S, Berglund A, Stattin P. Population based study of use and determinants of active surveillance and watchful waiting for low and intermediate risk prostate cancer. Adult Urology. Nov 2013; 190(5), 1742-1749. Available from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2013.05.054. Accessed September 1, 2017.
- Stangelberger A, Waldert M, Djavan B. Prostate cancer in elderly men. Reviews in Urology. 2008; 10(2), 111-119. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2483315/. Accessed August 12, 2017.
- Harle LK, Maggio M, Shahani S, et al. Endocrine complications of androgen-deprivation therapy in men with prostate cancer. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol. Sep 2006; 4(9), 687-96. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17099626. Accessed August 12, 2017.
- Klotz L, Zhang L. Clinical results of long-term follow-up of a large, active surveillance cohort with localized prostate cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2009; 28, 126-131. Available from: http://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/JCO.2009.24.2180. Accessed September 1, 2017.
- Homberg L, et al. A randomized trial comparing radical prostatectomy with watchful waiting in early prostate cancer. The New England Journal of Medicine. 12 Sept 2002; 347, 781-789. Available from: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa012794. Accessed September 1, 2017.
- Xia K, et al. Prostate cancer mortality following active surveillance versus immediate radical prostatectomy. Clinical Cancer Research. Oct 2012; 18(9), 5471-8.