What Dietary Supplements Can Be Used for Prostate Cancer?
Written by: Casey Hribar | Last reviewed: January 2019
- Nasri H, Baradaran A, Hedayatollah S, Rafieian-Kopaei. New concepts in nutraceuticals as alternative for pharmaceuticals. Int J Prev Med. Dec 2014; 5(12), 1487-1499. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4336979/. Accessed October 5, 2017.
- Eylert MF, Persad R. Complementary therapies in prostate cancer. Trends in Urology and Men’s Health. May 2011; 2(3), 17-22.
- Yacoubian A, Dargham RA, Khauli RB, Bachir BG. Overview of dietary supplements in prostate cancer. Curr Urol Rep. Nov 2016; 17(11), 78.
- Marra G, Oderda M, Gontero P. Dietary supplements and prostate cancer prevention. Trends in Urology and Men’s Health. 26 Jan 2016; 7(1), 12-16.
- Posadzki P, Soo Lee M, et al. Dietary supplements and prostate cancer: A systematic review of double-blind, placebo-controlled randomized clinical trials. Maturitas. 1 Jun 2013; 75(2), 125-130.
- Antioxidants. Medline Plus. https://medlineplus.gov/antioxidants.html. Accessed October 1, 2017.
- Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity, and the Prevention of Cancer: A Global Perspective. World Cancer Research Fund and the American Institute for Cancer Research. http://www.wcrf.org/sites/default/files/english.pdf. Published 2007. Accessed October 1, 2017.
- Etminan M, Takkouche B, Caamaño-Isorna F. The role of tomato products and lycopene in the prevention of prostate cancer: A meta-analysis of observational studies. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. Mar 2004; 13(3), 340-5. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15006906. Accessed October 1, 2017.
- Lippman SM, Klein EA, et al. Effect of selenium and vitamin E on risk of prostate cancer and other cancers: the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial (SELECT). JAMA. Jan 2009; 301(1), 39-51. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19066370. Accessed October 1, 2017.
- Clark K. Polyphenols vs. Flavonoids. LiveStrong.com. http://www.livestrong.com/article/479645-polyphenols-vs-flavonoids/. Published October 3, 2017. Accessed October 5, 2017.
- Zinc and Prostate Cancer. Harvard Health Publishing: Harvard Men’s Health Watch. https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/Zinc_and_prostate_cancer. Published March, 2006. Accessed October 5, 2017.
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine. National Institute of Health: National Cancer Institute. https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam.
- Bonnar-Pizzorno RM, Littman AJ, Kestin M, White E. Saw palmetto supplement use and prostate cancer risk. Nutr Cancer. 2006; 55(1) 21-7.