What Is the PSA Test?
Written by: Casey Hribar | Last reviewed: October 2017
- Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) Test. National Cancer Institute. https://www.cancer.gov/types/prostate/psa-fact-sheet. Published May 5, 2017. Accessed October 9, 2017.
- PSA Test. Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/psa-test/home/ovc-20200307. Published August 11, 2017. Accessed October 9, 2017.
- Finding Prostate Cancer Early. American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostate-cancer/early-detection/finding-prostate-cancer-early.html. Published April 14, 2016. Accessed October 9, 2017.
- Thompson IM, Pauler DK, et al. Prevalence of prostate cancer among men with a prostate-specific antigen level < or =4.0 ng per milliliter. New England Journal of Medicine. 27 May 2004; 350(22), 2239-46.
- Pinsky PF, Prorok PC, et al. Extended mortality results for prostate cancer screening in the PLCO trial with median follow-up of 15 years. Cancer. 15 Feb 2017; 123(4), 592-599.
- Barry MJ. Clinical practice. Prostate-specific antigen testing for diagnosis of prosate cancer. New England Journal of Medicine. 3 May 2011; 344(18), 1373-7.
- What Tests Can Detect Prostate Cancer Early? American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostate-cancer/early-detection/tests.html. Published April 14, 2016. Accessed October 9, 2017.
- Prostate Cancer Screening Draft Recommendations. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. https://screeningforprostatecancer.org/. Published 2017. Accessed October 9, 2017.