caret icon Back to all discussions

MRI in 2021 - nano MRI advantages?

Some new information as of June 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoOecPYm0TM

NanoMRI combined with PSMA/PET can yield even better screening results.

Anyone aware of facilities un US and Europe that do this?

The one in presentation is in Netherlands.

Seems to be a better way of detecting mets, but from what I spoke with doctors - few are aware of this method.

Do forum members know anything more of it?

Thinking if this will yield a benefit in early diagnostic of potential mets for 59yr, 4+3=7, PSA7.8, T2C.

1. Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC offers it
    ....See Below....
    Medical oncologist Michael Morris of Memorial Sloan Kettering’s Genitourinary Oncology Service describes techniques to image prostate cancer metastases using novel PET imaging technology. The approaches involve the use of prostate-specific PET scans targeting the androgen receptor or prostate-specific membrane antigen (PSMA) as a target. Doctors can use the method to localize metastases and determine how well treatments are targeting disease sites. They are the first techniques developed to visualize and characterize prostate cancer in a patient's body in a way that cannot be accomplished using standard imaging modalities. Dr. Morris also notes that it is the first step toward creating the molecular profile of a patient's prostate cancer in a noninvasive manner.

1. Hi . The Nano MRI and the PSMA PET scan are actually two different tests. They both seem to be excellent at finding potential metastasis. Since sometimes the one will pick up a potential metastasis where the other does not and vice versa, the thought is that combining the results of each could really increase the likelihood of finding any metastasis early. This study from earlier this year compared the two and called for more study on combining them: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33517328/. Because PSMA was just recently approved by the FDA for use in the U.S. it is only available at few place. Dennis mentioned one and I'm also familiar with UCLA, U. Cal. San Francisco, and U. Michigan. There may be others. I'm not sure about any places currently offering both, but your doctor may be able to provide that information. Wishing you the best. Richard (ProstateCancer.net Team)

1. Thank you. I can't understand if its worth getting one at my stage or not.

1. Having experienced cancer 3 times I am of the opinion there are no 100% guarantees that X treatment protocol for Y cancer will always produce Z result in every case. Very few things in life are guaranteed - taxes and death are the only two that come to mind. Often timeswhen you are able to quiet your mind ... an answer appears. Good luck

Please read our rules before posting.