Prostate Cancer at 53

I was diagnosed in June with Gleason score intermediate borderline high. I am having robotic surgery today to remove prostate. Dr is going to try to spare nerves, says operation will take four hours. Been a huge emotional drain and now more and more scared as time nears closer. I have heard comments “it’s only prostate cancer, no big deal”. I don’t understand how people can say that. It is Cancer and extremely scary and life changing. Praying that all goes well this afternoon.

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The ProstateCancer.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.

Comments

View Comments (6)
  • sevensix
    8 hours ago

Robotic surgery for me was an incredible experience.
    Hours after surgery I was ready to go home without pain meds, I felt terrific. Recovery was free of complaint. Bladder control takes effort and ED will challenge you but overall you’ll do well. Keep us informed!

• Tnewman
    4 months ago

Chefback, I have had many surgeries and found this to be my worst, but I had nothing compared to yours. I am glad you are doing better and hope you keep improving.

• Deemusicman
    4 months ago

God bless,,I’m 5 months post surgery ,doing good it takes time to heal,,,,Keep the faith ,,…

• Chefback author
    5 months ago

I had my surgery on 8/14 finished around 9:30pm. Had my blood pressure drop, kidneys go out and an internal bleed. I was in ICU for two days, one day in hospital and was discharged Saturday. I am currently having minor issue with an incision. My emotions have become very scrambled with a lot of anxiety and confusion. I go for a follow up on Thursday. There was a whole lot more to the surgery and recovery than I anticipated. I had open colon surgery back in 2005, and this surgery was much worse than the colon surgery.

• ninaw moderator
    5 months ago

This sounds like a really frightening situation, @Chefback. I hope you don’t remember much of the actual events. It is no wonder to me that you’re dealing with anxiety and confusion, after such a traumatic surgery. We’re wishing you better days ahead and luck with recovery. Please keep checking back when you can. – Nina, ProstateCancer.net Team

• Doug Sparling moderator
    5 months ago

@chefback – Let us know how everything goes, we’ll all be thinking of you. Yes, cancer is scary (and rightly so) regardless of the type or stage. Prostate cancer IS a big deal and no one should say it isn’t. Be well! – Doug, ProstateCancer.net Team

• Poll