caret icon Back to all discussions

PSA 142

Hi all.

I just recently had bloodwork done and my PSA is 142. 4 years ago it was 2. My GP has me referred to a Urologist so this is my first step.

I don't know anything past this. I decided to look around for some info and landed here. Just kinda wondering if anyone has been in this position before and if there is anything helpful to pass along.

Thanks Guys!

1. You have found an excellent place to learn more. A PSA test is not a test for cancer. Rather it simply shows the level of antigen the prostate is producing. Given your numbers are high it is understandably unnerving at point on your journey.

Unlike other cancers Prostate Cancer is slow growing. That often suggests you would be offered various treatment options if that is your diagnosis. For many this type of cancer turns out to be a treatable disease. I was diagnosed in 2013 with an aggressive cancer and I am still here today some 11 years later.

A urologist \ most likely will perform a digital exam to see if any lumps or irregularities are found. After that you may need some form of testing/biopsy to determine if you are dealing with an aggressive cancer or not. Once the aggressiveness of the disease is determined you will be offered one or more treatment options.

My advice ... Ask lots of questions on treatment protocols, outcomes, the experience of the provider and more . Now is not the time to hold back . My surgeon had done over 2500 surgeries prior to mine. Should cancer be found I would be inclined to seek out treatment at a regional cancer center vs relying on a local hospital. I hope this was of help and please feel free to reach out to me. Most likely you will have responses from others on here as well. Dennis ... Prostatecancer.net TEAM

1. Dennis, thank you for the answer above, it has given me hope and some definite direction. I will definitely check back with you after the Urologist visit.

1. Just know you will get through this - best is to take it one step at a time while not projecting the worst outcomes. Dennis ProstateCancer.net TEAM

2. Dennis, thank you so much for the support! It means more than you can imagine. My initial appt with the Oncologist Surgeon is the 15th. That will truly begin this journey for me. I will update after my appt and supposed new tests?

Please read our rules before posting.