A Guide to Prostate Cancer Recurrence
Prostate cancer recurrence is a topic that many people in the community talk about. Whether it is dealing with fear, detecting recurrence, or what to do when prostate cancer comes back, we share what community members have said about their experiences and invite others to join the conversation.
Fears of recurrence
The fear alone can cause stress and anxiety, but there are ways to manage concerns about cancer coming back.
- Read Dealing with Fears of Recurrence, where Simon dives into recurrence rates, coping with the very real fears, and staying positive
- Read what the community had to say in Talking About Prostate Cancer Recurrence
- Read about the differences between recurrence and being diagnosed with a second cancer, risks, and what the research says about prevention in How to Cope with the Fears of Recurrence
Many men will continue to do checkups after treatment to monitor for recurrence.
- Read Thinking "Cancer Free" Might Come Back to Bite You!, where Len talks about understanding PSA levels
- Read Axumin for Early Detection of Recurrent Prostate Cancer, where Richard shares how Axumin can be used when dealing with the possibility of recurrence
- Read 2nd Recurrence, a story submission where a community member talks about the stress of recurrence
When prostate cancer comes back
Whether recurrence happens at all can vary among men. But if it does happen, there are ways to move forward.
- Read Facing A Biochemical Recurrence, where Dennis talks about what he did when his prostate cancer came back
- Read Dad’s Prostate Cancer Journey: Next Steps, where Angela talks about how family members can support men facing recurrence
- Join the conversation What was your experience with salvage radiation?, where community members describe what it was like
We want to hear from you! How do you cope with the ongoing fears of recurrence? Share in the comments.
Have you made personal connections through your journey with prostate cancer?