caret icon Back to all discussions

Newbie... Rising PSA

Hi. Here goes. Doc was slightly concerned with my PSA levels a couple of years ago when it was around 3. A year later I was at 4, and they retested me 3 months later and I was at 3.6, and the urologist said we’ll check again in a year, but call us if anything at all changes. No changes over the year, but I had bloodwork done on 9/10, and a few days later I got my results online. PSA 7.0. I’m going to my urologist tomorrow morning, and yes, I’m scared. Talked to a nurse friend who said he’ll probably suggest a biopsy. If anybody’s reading this today and wants to throw in their 2 cents, I’d appreciate it. I’m 55 years old.

  1. Sorry to hear that your PSA has risen but let’s hope it’s nothing sinister. Bear in mind that elevated PSA can be due to reasons other than prostate cancer. Also, early diagnosis is vitally important to better outcomes. 🤞🤞🤞

    1. Hi rdmlv. As Tony said, there are multiple things that can raise a person's PSA and this article explains the test in further detail and the things that can effect it: https://prostatecancer.net/diagnosis/psa-test/. That said, it is good that you are going to see a urologist and seeking answers because, as Tony also said, early detection is key. If you get a biopsy, an MRI guided one is much more accurate and really should be considered the standard of care at this point. This article goes into further detail: https://prostatecancer.net/clinical/mri-guided-biopsy/. Please feel free to keep us posted on how things go and if you have further questions. Wishing you the best. Richard (ProstateCancer.net Team)

      1. Urologist suggested MRI first. That happens this Friday, then follow up with urologist the following Friday. Question: will MRI people tell me anything the day of the MRI, or do I have to wait for the follow up? I’m a mailman with constant aches and pains, and now every ache has me thinking about spreading cancer!

    2. I’m 60 years old. Family history so checking my pas for years. This year it went from 2.5 to 6.9. Went to Urologist. He offered to wait or have a biopsy. I chose the biopsy. Good thing. 11 of 12 positive. Gleason (4+5)9. He said I could think about it for several months or radical prostatectomy. I m 2 weeks out from surgery. Trying to stay upbeat. Now wait for lymp node results. And then 2 more weeks for another psa test. My brain is also trying to make every pain I have. A cancer pain. Try to stay up beat. Mine is an aggressive cancer so I’m really glad I have been watching my psa. So no matter what happens. Early detection is great.

      1. Hi martinwilson2. Yes, early detection is great. It can make all the difference in the world, even with (or maybe especially with) a high Gleason score like yours. Know that many men here were in the same boat, including some of our contributors, such as Len Smith, who also had a Gleason 9 and now has had undetectable PSA for over 5 years (you can see his bio here: https://prostatecancer.net/community-advocates/len-smith/). Please feel free to keep us posted on how you are doing. Best, Richard (ProstateCancer.net Team)

      2. Was radiation not an option?

    3. Hi Martin. I’m 69. My Gleason score was 4+3 (7) and 3+4 (7). I had the robotic laparoscopic prostatectomy on July 6. The cancer was deemed “intermediately aggressive”, and had invaded one of the two nerve bundles. Fortunately, my doctor was able to save the second nerve bundle, and the lymph nodes and seminal vesicles were clear. There is a 5%-7% chance the cancer has metastasized somewhere else, which means there’s a 93%-95% chance it hasn’t. I’ll have my first PSA test since the surgery on October 12. Like you, I’ve felt some pain that makes me a little nervous at times, but I’m optimistic. Not a big fan of the side effects, but working toward overcoming those challenges. All the best to you in your journey and prayers for your complete recovery.

      1. Hi kgriffith. Glad you are on top things with your treatment. As your doctor is looking for the potential for metastasis, have they mentioned any tests besides the PSA? I want to mention two tests for recurrent prostate cancer - Axumin (see here: https://prostatecancer.net/clinical/axumin-early-detection/) and PSMA (see here: https://prostatecancer.net/clinical/psma-imaging-scan/). Your doctor should be able to provide additional information. Best, Richard (ProstateCancer.net Team)

    or create an account to reply.