caret icon Back to all discussions

Treatment of Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer with Lu-177

Hello everyone!

This is the first time I am writing a post but i am currently in desperate need of any help or suggestions that anyone with experience can provide.
I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in September 2020 with a Gleason's score of 8 (4+4) with cancer confined to prostate gland so the doctor proposed me radical prostatectomy which I underwent in October of the same year. In March 2021, the cancer returned again in my lymph nodes and I was prescribed Radiotherapy and hormonal therapy which initially controlled the disease but then again in August there was a progression and my doctor changed my hormonal drugs but unfortunately the disease kept on progressing and I was prescribed treatment with Chemotherapy and declared as castration resistant.
One of my known one informed me about a new treatment i.e. Lutetium therapy for mCRPC.
After searching for a long time, I found out that Germany is most experienced in such kind of treatment and found an American company that claims to be working with German clinic name "Booking Med Travel" and they proposed me "Lu-177 PSMA therapy" but before I could move forward with them, I would like to ask the following questions:

1) Has anyone undergone Lu-177 PSMA therapy before?
2) Is this therapy of any help?
3) Has anyone undergone treatment organised by the company that I mentioned above? and how was the experience?

Please let me know if you have any answers for the questions I mentioned above as I am in Desperate need.

Thank you in advance

1. Sorry to learn of you challenges - I also had a returning PCa after surgery - and was treated and so far OK . Is there some reason you are not able to with directly with the overseas company vs using a connector here in the states. If nothing else I would contact the German firm and ask what they suggest
    as a procedure and process. You said it was progressing it is doing so at a rate that requires immediate action on your part or do you have some time?

1. Hello Dennis!

Thank you for your reply, regarding your question about the progression, my PSA doubling time in now 2 months and my doctor here suggested me to take a quick action and when I discussed Lu-177 PSMA therapy with him, he agreed that it is the best choice at the moment. So thats why I would like to proceed with it.
      Regarding the company, I was little confused because this seems to be a new company because of which I wanted to be sure that they are legit before I could make any payment to them as they have offered me the cheapest price so far.
      But I have finally found some connection and everything seems to be ok with them and plus they are American company so I think it is even more better rather then going with some German company.
      I am going to travel for the therapy next week and would hope that it will give some positive results

1. Good luck and God speed

2. I am sorry to learn progression of your PCa but I am sure you will be able to manage it well.

Ever since I was diagnosed with Gleason 3+3, T2aN0M0 disease, four years ago and read about “smart bombing” PCa with radio ligands, I could not understand why Lu177 could not be used at right at the beginning instead of at the time of progression to mCRPC stage.

I understand the treatment is now widely available as both therapy and as a palliative procedure. I doubt there would be a need to go to Germany. You could consider existing centres in your own country.

Here is a link to some info that might be useful 👉🏼 https://www.auntminnie.com/index.aspx?sec=ser&sub=def&pag=dis&ItemID=135328&wf=7612

1. Thank you for your reply. I have already discussed this my physician and he have informed me that the therapy has been approved but still not available and might take up to 6-8 months to be available here and unfortunately, I can not wait that long. So, I have decided to pay out of my pocket.
        By the way, regarding your point about why it is not used right at the beginning, I asked the same from the company and they said as prostate cancer is slow growing cancer and this therapy is relatively new i.e. long term side effects are not clear yet, it has been not yet given to patients in early stage of prostate cancer but they also informed me that there are some hospitals in Germany that are authorised to provide Lu-177 therapy even at early stages. I wish I would know that before but hopefully this may help people in Future

3. Hi . Just to follow up on what said, here is the announcement of the FDA approval put out by the Prostate Cancer Foundation, including the fact that it was expected to be available to doctors and patients within weeks from that point: https://www.pcf.org/c/breaking-news-first-in-class-radioligand-therapy-approved-for-advanced-prostate-cancer/. I completely understand the desire to have the treatment done by those with experience, although you may want to look at locations that participated in the Vision Trial, such as Tulane and Memorial Sloan Kettering. The Prostate Cancer Foundation may be able to help with something like that. Wishing you the best. Richard (ProstateCancer.net Team)

1. Here is a link to another resource that may be helpful https://online.flippingbook.com/view/380818562/4/

2. Thank you for your reply. I have already discussed this my physician and he have informed me that the therapy has been approved but still not available and might take up to 6-8 months to be available here and unfortunately, I can not wait that long. So, I have decided to pay out of my pocket.

Thanks for your answer anyways. Hopefully by the next session it will be already available here.
        By the way, https://bookingmedtravel.com/blog/Lu-177-PSMA-therapy was also very short and informative regarding the therapy itself

Please read our rules before posting.