Skip to Accessibility Tools Skip to Content Skip to Footer

Newly Diagnosed

Over the last few years I noticed my urine flow become increasingly slower, more urgent while feeling complete fullness in my bladder. In the past year my PSA level kept rising but nothing my primary was concerned about. From October of last year to April of this year my PSA doubled.

One urologist’s opinion

It became apparent I needed to seek a urologist opinion. After having a prostate biopsy, I was diagnosed with T1c prostate cancer with a Gleason score of 6. My urologist indicated that my cancer was small and I should not worry about it and stressed Active Surveillance or have my prostate removed.

Complications in treatment choice

Those were the only two options given because, I am told, my prostate is double in size and it would be difficult to have any other procedures. I also complicate other diagnostic tests like MRI due to a spinal fusion 30 years ago leaving metal wiring in my lower back.

Second opinion

I am currently on Active Surveillance and scheduled to have another prostate biopsy end of October with my second opinion urologist from U of M. This biopsy will be the perinatal type with more specimens being taken to determine if my cancer is bigger than what my local urologist determined.

Gene testing

I am also considering having my specimens submitted for genetic testing to determine the growth, spreading and long term effect of my cancer. While I am scared of the long term affect of this disease, I joke to ease the pain.

Got 30 minutes? Click to take the Prostate Cancer In America Survey!

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.


  • SHarmonHolt author
    2 months ago

    Thank you everyone for your comments and support. My October biopsy has been postponed until late December do to complications in scheduling, health issues and broken ultrasound machines. My PSA went down but not significantly less, it remains above 8.0. I am optimistic learning more about my prostate status before making a final decision. I couldn’t agree more, early detection is the best defense against this intrusive disease.

  • Richard Faust moderator
    3 months ago

    Hi SHarmonHolt. Wanted to follow-up and see how you are doing. Has anything changed concerning your status?

    I also wanted to share with you a couple of additional comments from our Facebook page regarding your post.

    “Larry Barthle I would not waste any extra time than necessary. Waiting unnecessary time give the chance of growth and spread. I had 3 PSA tests in 2018. Jan, Apr and June. PSA scores went from 4-6-8. Things can change rapidly. My prostate was also enlarged. My final consult I was asked by my current doctor if I had received a hormone shot to stall any increase in PSA and to shrink the prostate size while course of treatment was decided? I said no it had never been mentioned by 4 other doctors. 3 surgeons and one radiation oncologist. The first 4 doctors thought I was not in immediate need of treatment. My current doctor also had another PSA test done the day of my consult. By the time I started my IMRT/ Proton Boost treatments 4 months later my prostate had shrunk down closer to normal size. 1 year out after treatment PSA is holding at <0.10. Good luck"

    "Len Smith Larry Barthle, I’m in 1,000% agreement with you. And with your PSA doubling in 6 months, that’s highly unlikely it’s BPH growing that rapidly. And with a Gleason 9 two years after my prostatectomy, when my PSA should been undetectable, as I told my oncologist who wanted to wait until my PSA doubled to 0.2, I want it treated NOW as I didn’t want to give the Grade 5 PCa any extra time to metastasize. I don’t gamble in casinos, and there’s far, far less of a chance I’ll gamble with my life. Len Smith Moderator"

  • SHarmonHolt author
    2 months ago

    Thank you Richard for your comment. I am trying to stay optimistic as nothing has changed since my diagnosis this last May. Perhaps 2020 will bring better results and health issues.

  • kenneth1955
    4 months ago

    Glad you got a second opinion. I’m not going to say much because the doctors do not care enough to do more research on prostate cancer. All they want to do is remove the prostate. They do not care about the side effects of removing the prostate. I for one will never do that. Your life will be over you will be a shell of a men. That is if you are still into sex. They make save your life but kill it in a different way. If you have slow growing cancer. It will take 10 years for it to cause you any problem. It is my life and I will live it the way I want to. All the best to you all…..

  • Richard Faust moderator
    4 months ago

    Hi SHarmonHolt. We asked participants from our Facebook page to weigh in on your question and thought you might be interested in this post from our contributor Will:

    “With a Gleason 6, and depending on the results of your next biopsy, you have the time to research all of your options. I stayed on active surveillance for one year before deciding to have surgery. Here’s a link to an article I wrote as I decided which treatment to choose. Best wishes and please keep us informed of your progress!…/active-surveillance-wrinkle/ Will Jones Moderator”

    Wishing you the best and know this community is here for you. Richard ( Team)

  • Poll